Friday, August 11, 2017

Learn About a Human Food You Should NEVER Give Your Dog



One of the reasons that Pet Wants food is so good for dogs is we make it with real ingredients that contain all the nutrients these animals need to thrive. While there are plenty of foods that dogs should consume on a daily basis, there are also some foods that they should never, ever eat. Grapes are a prime example of this. Even though grapes and raisins are healthy and tasty treats for humans, they can be deadly to dogs.


Why Dogs and Raisins are a Truly Dangerous Combination

Scientists have yet to identify exactly what makes grapes so toxic to dogs. However, there's no question this toxicity exists with both grapes and raisins. What's especially alarming is it only takes a small amount of this food to be fatally toxic. All breeds, ages and sizes of dogs are susceptible to this danger.

If a dog eats this fruit, it can cause severe kidney damage. This negatively affects urine production, which in turn can lead to sudden kidney failure. It's worth noting that kidney failure is not seen in all dogs after ingestion of grapes or raisins. Scientists are still working to pinpoint what determines whether or not a dog is severely affected.

Identifying and Treating Grape Toxicity

Given the significant danger that grapes pose to dogs, the best thing you can do for your pet is to avoid eating this fruit around it. The same is true for not storing grapes or raisins anywhere that your dog may be able to access. In addition to taking those preventive measures, it's worth being aware of the symptoms and treatment options for this condition. There are close to a dozen symptoms of this type of poisoning, ranging from foul breath to unusual quietness to diarrhea. It's common for a dog to display multiple symptoms within a few hours of ingesting any grapes or raisins.

The most common treatment for this dangerous condition is to induce vomiting by using hydrogen peroxide. Just keep in mind that vomiting should not be induced if a dog is unconscious, having trouble breathing, exhibiting signs of serious distress or you aren't 100% sure that grapes were eaten. We highly recommend immediately taking a dog in this situation to an emergency vet. And if that's not possible, at least calling a vet for guidance.


Now that you know just how dangerous grapes can be to dogs, we hope you'll share this important information with other dogs owners. And to learn more about keeping your pet safe, be sure to read our previous post on how to keep your dog safe during a tornado.

1 comment:

  1. Make your dog's mealtime more exciting by topping wet food with VitaLife Freeze Dried Treats. Made from freeze-dried, raw real chicken breast these bites add crunchy texture and enhanced flavor that your dog will love.

    ReplyDelete